Pool Planning & Permits

What is an owner builder?

An owner builder is someone who takes responsibility for domestic building works carried out on their own land.

An owner builder must

  • Obtain a building permit
  • Supervise or undertake the building works
  • Ensure works comply with building regulations and standards

So, if you have some basic building or DIY experience (or industry contacts) and are prepared to be responsible for and supervise your own pool installation, a DIY pool can be a real opportunity to save significant money.


A building permit MUST be obtained prior to installing a swimming pool. It is the owner’s responsibility to obtain all permits and required permissions from council and regulatory bodies prior to commencing the pool installation. (see this link to VBA Owner Builder information http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumers/owner-builders )


Once you have selected your pool location, Please go to Dial Before you Dig ‘DBYD’ to confirm if there are any assets in your proposed pool installation area (e.g.; power, phone, sewer, drainage) follow this link for more information  https://www.1100.com.au/


Prior to commencing building works, please contact your local council to confirm if an Asset Protection Permit is required. An Asset protection permit is a permission to use council assets like footpath and driveways to gain access to your own property for the purpose of performing building works. Not all council require Asset Protection Permits, but some have large fines if you do not obtain one.


Please ensure you are familiar with the fencing regulations & that you maintain compliance at all times. It is a legal requirement that your pool is fenced both during construction and after. A temporary barrier must be installed around your pool during construction and remain in place until your permanent safety barrier has been inspected and a certificate of final inspection provided to you by your Surveyor or Council.  We recommend Victorian Temporary Fencing 94844000 or 1300Tempfence 1300836733 for your temporary barrier hire. Attached is some fence information and follow this link for more details http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/consumer-resources/building/pages/swimming-pools


If you choose to install your pool fence over an easement, you may require ‘Build over Easement’ approvals. Please discuss this with your Building Surveyor.


Ensure you, and any tradesmen you employ to assist with your project are familiar with the engineering and installation requirement of your new pool. We suggest you only use trades experienced in pool installations. We can provide a list of recommendation, but it is your responsibility to ensure all works are carried out in accordance with the Australian Standards and the manufacturer’s regulations and installation requirements.


You must inspect your swimming pool on delivery and sign the driver paperwork. If you have selected the ‘Pre Plumb’ option, you are required to check all fittings prior to installation. With Pre Plumbing or self-plumbing, we always recommend your pool is pressure tested prior to backfilling.


Please ensure you follow all manufacturers’ installation and operation instructions for your pool equipment.


Once your pool is completed, you must maintain correct chemical balance at all times. Correct Chemical balance is essential to your pool shell and equipment warranty. Please contact Rainwise for post installation information.


Never empty your pool without consulting Rainwise first.


Drainage in and around the pool is very important. It is also important to understand the function of the Standpipe at the end of the pool and the importance is keeping it free of water.



Remember, installing a swimming pool is an exciting project but there are some important legal and installation requirements. If you are unsure of any of the above points or if you wish to discuss any of the above, please contact us any time on 93549666.